This shawl does double duty, either as a lightweight wrap or, looped around your neck a couple of times, a surprisingly warm scarf. Although I really like the drape and swoosh of the Taj Mahal yarn shown, you could work this in virtually any yarn you like. The pattern is very simple, and since it can be worked to any size, gauge doesn’t really matter.

This pattern was originally published by the KnitPicks Yarn Company as the “Sweet Scalloped Shawl,” and called for 5 balls (550 yards) of KnitPicks Ambrosia yarn (80% Baby Alpaca, 20% Cashmere).

Yarn: Lane Cervinia/Plymouth Yarn Company “Le Fibre Nobili Taj Mahal”
(70% merino wool, 22% silk, 8% cashmere; sport weight); 187 yards/50 grs;
3 balls.
Finished Size: 72” wide; 30” long
Needles: #8 circular needle, #9 circular needle, #10 needle (optional, for binding off).
Gauge: 12 sts/16 rows to 4” worked over pattern stitch or 24 sts/32 rows to 4” over st st (since shawl is worked to desired size, an exact gauge is not vital)
Notions: Tapestry needle for weaving in ends.

ABBREVIATIONS USED
BO Bind off
CO Cast on
K knit
P purl
RS Right side
ssk slip, slip, knit (decrease 1 stitch)
St stitch
WS Wrong side
yo Yarn over

NOTES
Shawl is worked flat from bottom up. You can work the shawl larger by simply repeating the lace pattern to desired size, but be sure to reserve at least one-third of the yarn for the border.

SHAWL
With #8 needle, CO 4 sts
Foundation Row: K1, yo, K2, yo, K1
Lace pattern:
Row 1 (WS): K1, yo, K1 *yo, ssk; rep to last 2 sts, K1, yo, K1
Row 2 (and all RS rows): K across
Row 3: K1, yo, K1 *ssk, yo; rep to last 2 sts, K1, yo, K1
Row 4: K across

Repeat rows 1-4 until shawl measures 30” from bottom corner (or to desired size). Bind off very loosely (use #10 needle if necessary). Wash shawl and block. Let dry completely.

BORDER
Row 1: With RS facing you and using #9 needle, start at the upper left-hand corner and pick up and K one st for every row of the shawl. Work around the point and up to the upper right-hand corner.
Row 2 (and all WS rows): P
Row 3: K into the front and back of every st
Row 4: P
Row 5: K
Row 6: P
Row 7: Rep row 3
Row 8: P
Row 9: Rep row 3
Row 10: P
Row 11: BO

FINISHING
Weave in all ends. Wash and block again.

8 Responses to Seafoam Shawl FREE Pattern

1. Anonymous says:

Beautiful shawl, I can’t wait to make it! Thanks!

2. Anonymous says:

This is a beautiful shawl pattern, and I really am looking forward to knitting this one up for one of my granddaughters and maybe even one for her mother.

3. sharma soluton says:

Looks very good nice work,,

4. Anonymous says:

I love the looks of this shawl! I think I might just have to try it. Thanks

5. Anonymous says:

I love this pattern I'll do it in pink for a friend who survived cancer. She is always chilly. Thank you.

6. Anonymous says:

I think I'd like to try this one as well. Maybe I'll make it for a friend for next year Xmas.
    Sharon T. in Saskatoon

7. Suzi says:

Love love love this shawl. Have made it twice already. Once with Kid Seta from Cascade Yarns (mohair blend). Came out so light & fluffy!! And now again with a bamboo yarn. so different evry time!
    Awesome!

8. Judy Humphrys says:

I really like the simplicity of this shawl. It is functional, which I like very much. It is also pretty without being too fussy. (I have not yet made a shawl because I find the designs too fussy looking for my taste.) The scarf style of wearing it is my favorite. It will likely be the first shawl that I ever make. I mean that in a good way. =) Thanks for sharing this pattern.

Judy Humphrys